You can go here to register your top three priorities for the spending of federal stimulus dollars in LA. Your choices?
- Infrastructure: Street lights, sidewalks, repaving
- Afterschool programs
- Gang intervention programs
- Community centers/senior centers
- Permanent housing for homeless
- Neighborhood beautification: medians, plantings
- Foreclosure prevention & counseling
- Career training centers
So. What will you vote for? I chose gang intervention, afterschool programs, and permanent housing for homeless.
There’s also a field where you can make suggestions–do you have a write-in idea for how to spend the stimulus cash? Ha. Hahaha. I just bet you do.
President-Elect Obama has a big stimulus package. Los Angeles County Supervisors want a piece of it.
From the Los Angeles Times:
Los Angeles County officials are proposing projects that include more than $25 million to create renewable solar energy sources for county operations, $8 million to computerize some medical records at county health facilities and $186 million to pave roads.
You can download the entire list of proposals (.pdf) here.
In their request for federal funding, L.A. Supervisors included a eyebrow-raising variety of “shovel-ready” infrastructure projects for the region, such as:
- $8,000,000 for solar power projects in various parks
- $350,000,000 for new female detention facilities
- $90,000,000 for a new data center
- $4,083,000 for the replacement of large park lights with induction lights
- And $220,000 for a beach restroom solar powered lighting program
And that, friend, is why is takes 23 years to build 10 miles of subway.
Photo from silatix’s photostream