This is a biggy for me. Something that I, as a board member, have been all but consumed with the last several weeks. Celebrate the Arts is in its 52nd year and its going to have quite a few firsts on top of the already terrific fine artists populating the park with their art.
Celebrate the Arts is held in Monrovia’s Library Park from 10AM – 6PM both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. There will be a lot of firsts at this show that we are really excited about on top of our usual host of Food Trucks, live music, extremely talented artists. Among our firsts this event:
- ChalkFest – a competitive street art event with Lori Escalera as our celebrity judge.
- Children’s Chalk Experience -designed for the 12 and under set to experiment with chalk
- Featured Artist Elizabeth Butterfield…her collage work is simply stunning
- The first appearance by students from Mt. Sierra College (11 fine artists and 2 chalk artists)
- The first appearance by 18 artists new to MAFA
- Glass Blowing demonstrations
- TIKI Bobbleheads from artist Rick Kess
- Authors exhibition with live book signing
- Photographer Author Stephen McCarthy will be selling his images, autographing his books including his newest “The Extra Virgin Spy Club”
To read more about this years Celebrate the Arts you need to make the jump.
This years Celebrate the Arts got tremendous support from donors all over town and the SGV. In no particular order please stop by these supporters and thank them for us or better yet….swing some business their way.
- Arcadia Association of Realtors
- Advantage Ford Lincoln
- Chris Shevlin/Chicago Title
- Brian Huffman Photography
- Hugo Torres – realtor
- Donna Baker – realtor
- Ward Automotive Service
- Dick Blick Art Supply
- City of Monrovia
- LA Partyworks
- Volunteer Center of the San Gabriel Valley
Of course parking is everyones bugaboo. A few hints. There’s a huge city parking lot immediately south of Library Park bound between Lime and Lemon accessed from Lemon just west of Myrtle Avenue. There is another huge lot at Ivy and Lemon, 1/2 East of Myrtle avenue. After that there are small lots strewn about Old Town Monrovia off Myrtle that are an easy walk to Library Park. Do pay attention to parking time limits as MPD does patrol the lots on Saturday and has been known to issue tickets, not that they are as bad as the parking nazis in Pasadena, but it happens so be aware of the limits.
FOOD! Yes, there will be food trucks in Library Park. At this writing I know one will be Taco for sure, one possibly a BBQ and one possibly a shaved ice. If Food Trucks aren’t your thing there are ample, and I mean AMPLE food options in Old Town Monrovia adjacent to Library Park or a short walk down Myrtle Avenue. If you go hungry, it ain’t my fault kids.
A Silent Auction has also been coordinated to feature the work of participating artists, with all proceeds generated form the auction going to support arts education for kids and teens, as well as general art experiences in Monrovia and surrounding communities.
Come, enjoy the art. Enjoy the music. Enjoy the art demonstrations. Enjoy life in Old Town Monrovia
DEETS: Saturday 9/26 and Sunday 9/27 10AM – 6PM. Library Park, 321 S Myrtle Ave, Monrovia CA 91016 MAP HERE.