This weekend: a good number of artwalks, plus tar.
- The Sixth Annual Frogtown Artwalk opens up art studios and galleries in the part of town where you actually can hear frogs croaking. Skip downtown for the frogs, really. Free. 4pm to 10pm on Blake Ave. between Rich St. and N. Coolidge Ave.
- … and then go to Echo Park’s Art Walk, which opens up a bunch of shops, galleries, and eateries along Sunset for your viewing pleasure. Free. Noon to 9pm in and around the The Echo Park Time Travel Mart, 1714 W. Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park
- .Yay for Museum Days! The Smithsonian is the party to thank for this one, with a good number of museums across town open for gratis all day. Check the website for participating museums and times.
- The annual Korean Festival takes over Koreatown for the day, with food, of course, as well as dancing and a K-Pop singing and dancing contest. If there was ever a time to learn how to hone our karoake skillz, this would be it. Free. Saturday and Sunday, 1pm to 10pm at Seoul International Park at Olympic and Normandie in Koreatown.
- The Abbot Kinney Festival looks like it will be a clusterfuck, and it probably will, what with the thousands of people descending on an already usually crowded part of Venice to check out a big roster of bands, food, and other festivities. If this is your thing, you’re going to have a great time. Free. 10am to 6pm along Abbot Kinney Blvd. in Venice.
- Alternatively, you can head midtown instead and check out the Ninth Annual Tarfest at the La Brea Tar Pits. There will be live painting, sculptures, and music from, among others, Saint Motel and Obi Best. Free. Noon to 6pm at the La Brea Tar Pits in Miracle Mile.
- Budding photographer who needs a few models? I don’t have gorgeous blondes just waiting to be crowned the next Top Model, but I do have something else that might work: a lot of fish. The Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific hosts Photographer Late Night where you and other shutterbugs will have the entire aquarium for yourselves to practice. Just don’t ask them to smize. $24.95. 5:30pm or 6:30pm at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach.