Menchie’s, my favorite of all of the many frozen yogurt chains in L.A., just opened their latest store within walking distance of my house. It’s a nice, longish walk, but can certainly be done when time permits. As mentioned on L.A. Metblogs about a year and a half ago, there is a location in Valley Village, which isn’t too far from me either, but I have to drive to it. I suppose I could ride my bicycle over. Nah.
I haven’t been in the new Burbank/Toluca Lake spot yet. I’m suspicious that it will happen within the next couple of days. So what makes Menchie’s so much better than the omnipresent Pinkberry?
Oh, let me count the ways in which Menchie’s totally beats Pinkberry:
- Instead of being limited to two or three choices, they have a wide variety of rotating flavorsincluding no sugar added, low carb, and non-dairy options.
- Again, a plethora of toppings, which are a little out of hand and admittedly, I’ve occasionally had more of those in my bowl than actual yogurt.
- The frozen stuff is actually “real” yogurt, or so they claim. You never really know.
- Menchie’s is self-serve and you pay by weight. I like the fact that you can pile on as much fruit or *ahem* other goodies as you like.
- While it’s not something I would necessarily choose, you can have your dessert in a waffle bowl, which is made on the premises.
- As a company, Menchie’s is community oriented. They help fund raise for local groups and programs.
Los Angeles is overrun by frozen yogurt shops and I’ve sampled the wares at a lot of them. Pinkberry, Snowberry, Red Mango, Berri! Good, Yogurberry, and Orange Cream. There are several more I haven’t visited, but I’ll stick with Menchie’s when I get a craving for the stuff that I refuse to call “fro-yo.”
The newest L.A.-area Menchie’s is located at 3800 Verdugo Avenue in Burbank (close to Toluca Lake) in the shopping center at the corner of Verdugo and Hollywood Way. Hours are Sunday-Thursday 11am-11pm and Friday & Saturday 11am-Midnight. I’m happy with the late hours too!