Invented by German-born chemist Peter J. Schlumbohm in 1941, the Chemex Coffee Maker has been in production for the past five decades. To make the one-piece drip filter utensil, Schlumbohm combined a modified heat resistant glass funnel with an E-flask, a widely used type of laboratory flask. He added a two-piece removable wood collar with leather tie to serve as a heat absorbing handle. The protruding “belly button” marks the flask’s half-way point.
Available at Intelligentsia Coffee in Silver Lake, Groundworks in Venice (Rose Ave. location) and on the official Chemex site, the Chemex Coffee Maker is also included in the design collections of the Museum of Modern Art and the Smithsonian,
Intelligentsia Silver Lake, 3922 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90029; Groundworks, 671 Rose Avenue, Venice, CA 90291