This opportunity to find out the hows and why Pasadena PD has had such a good track record. The invitation came about after a conversation with Ann Erdman the Pasadena PIO whom I had the pleasure of meeting a few weeks back at a Bloggers Picnic.
To give you an idea on what is going on in Pasadena. They are a city of nearly 140,000 that went the first 6 months without a murder. Compare that to my little corner of LA barely 7 miles away with 1/3 the population had 3 murders in the first few weeks of the year. Adding to their accomplishments other crimes such as burglary and car theft have been down too. They are doing something right, I want to understand better what they are doing and why it works.
As always, you have a chance to respond here with questions you want me to ask an officer. Serious or snarky put it up and I will ask. Some questions of my own I want to ask:
- How may cell phone violations?
- Have the red light cameras reduced the number of light violations and accidents?
- What about the parking enforcement, is the service contracted out or handled internally? The officers take on the “parking nazi” stereotype of Pasadena.
- What sort of gang intervention programs is Pasadena using and the results
- Does he read “The Adventures of Aaron Proctor”. Can he answer with a straight face?
- How is the bicycle/motorist sharing the roadway going? (About a year ago there were several heated battles in city council on how to deal with the increasing ire with the pelotons that ride en mass in the Rose Bowl area and resulting complaints from motorists and residents in the area.
Any others, just chime in. I will ask and let you know what they have to say.