August 5th is National Night Out 2008. Across America (except TX where they’ll wait until Oct. 17th) is an evening dedicated to community building and generating support for local crime-fighting endeavors. Sponsored by National Night Out Town Watch, the annual event includes over 10,000 communities nationwide. Here in Los Angeles, the LAPD will be hosting several events. My local LAPD division, the Hollenbeck Division will be hosting several events in El Sereno, Boyle Heights, and Lincoln Heights.
Like many communities, the Hollywood Community Police Station has made NNO into something of a community fair. The event, which runs from 5pm to 8pm offers:
- Hollywood Community Relations Office
- Hollywood Neighborhood City Attorney’s Office
- Council Districts 4, 5, and 13
- Target (Official Sponsor of National Night Out)
- Boys & Girls Club of Hollywood
- Dora the Explorer from Universal Studios will meet and greet children and take photos
- Rock Nation will be performing.
- Sergeant Deborah Gourman (National Anthem)
- Face Painting
- We will be Barbecuing Hot Dogs. We will also have chips, popcorn, snow cones and cookies.
You can find out about National Night Out events in your neighborhood by contacting your local LAPD Community Relations office or Senior Lead office. To locate your local LAPD division, visit lapdonline.org. Though the matrix has not been updated to reflect the most current events, you can also check National Night Out Events – Los Angeles (PDF) for events in your area.