Metro Board Chair Pam O’Connor will host a “live” internet chat today at noon to discuss high gas prices and the latest recession buzzword: Staycations!
With gas prices spiraling out of control and ridership up on Metro Rail, the MTA is wisely capitalizing on the increasing trend of Americans to take vacations in their home cities. Staycations eliminate the need for gassing up the car or paying those irksome new baggage fees with the airlines. In a city like L.A., there’s a ton of things to see and do. Some of it is even free.
Here is your challenge: Plan a mini staycation within walking distance of ONE METRO STATION, be it bus or rail.
Example: Civic Center Station, Downtown Los Angeles, June 26-29
- Stay at the Omni Hotel
- Thurs. June 26 – A Chorus Line at the Ahmanson Theatre ($30 and up)
- Fri. June 27 – Dance Downtown, with Swing featuring The Jonathan Stout Orchestra at the Music Center Plaza (FREE)
- Sat. June 28 – Angel City Drive-In showing Breakfast at Tiffany’s, 4th & Broadway (Walk-ups & bike-ins welcome, $10)
- During the day visit Historic Broadway Theaters, Disney Concert Hall, the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Bradbury Building, Los Angeles City Hall, Grand Central Market, the Jewelry District, Santee Alley, and the birthplace of the most diverse city in the world.
- When you’re tired of walking, stop by Bar 107 for a goblet of beer.
That’s just one small example. Let us know your idea for a staycation near a Metro stop in your hood.
Photo from puck90’s photostream