Last August I posted about the laceration injury mysteriously inflicted by Glendale’s Gateway Animal Hospital on the abandoned puppy we rescued earlier that month while on vacation driving through Monument Valley in Utah and how we had dropped Ranger off for shots and a bath and picked her up a couple hours later shocked to find a large stitched-up cut in her tail and little in the way of explanation from Gateway’s personnel. A subsequent complaint to the state’s veterinary medical board resulted in a cursory investigation that the board said yielded nothing to warrant futher disciplinary action. We promptly found another animal hospital and hankfully Ranger recovered from the ordeal fine and fully.
Unfortunately and heartwrenchingly there’s no chance of recovery for the Escobar family’s 2.5-year-old pitbull mix named Bear who was killed by the animal hospital after Godofredo Escobar took Bear in for a routine rabies vaccination only to have it accidentally euthanized as he looked on.
According to the Escobar’s attorney (from the KCBS newstory that aired May 9):
“They go into a room. They hold the dog down. They put some sort of catheter in the dog’s arm. The owner is watching this whole thing as it’s transpiring. The doctor comes in without making any indication that they’re going to put the dog out and administers the euthanasia shot.”
And as if that’s not horrific enough, according to Escobar, after the tragedy and over Bear’s dead body the vet told Godofredo “you could always get another dog.”