As someone who blogs about Los Angeles on a daily basis, it gets a little tiring referring to it in the same ‘ol boring ways.
L.A., SoCal, and the Southland are the most common ones I’ll use when I can’t get more neighborhood specific. Others I’ve found online include:
- City of Angels (of course)
- Lalaland (mildly annoying)
- Lotusland and/or Lotusville (where’d these come from?)
- Double Dubuque (according to LA Almanac.com, popular in the years after WWII as a put-down)
- El Pueblo (espanol for “the town”)
- City of Quartz (after Mike Davis’ book)
- Hollyweird and Tinseltown both refer to the showbiz side of things here
- The Big Orange
- City of Flowers and Sunshine (probably from a 60s era postcard)
Have I missed anything? Or are there any new nicknames for Los Angeles that need to be added to the popular vernacular?
…sources: LA Almanac and Doug’s List of Lists… photo snatched from eekthree’s Flickr page…