UPDATE (4:00pm): The Burbank Best Buy already has a line for the 11/17 PS3 launch… details after the jump.
I went to the West Hollywood Best Buy earlier today to find out how I could buy a Playstation 3 or Nintendo Wii. Inside, waiting to answer my questions, was Jesus. Granted, I think this was actually the phonetically spelled “HAY-zeus”, and not the OC (Original Christian) “GEE-zuss”… and he was wearing a blue polo shirt, and no robes… but he still gave me The Word:
- At midnight November 17th, doors will open and Playstation 3s will be sold, first come, first serve, (thats just after 11:59pm, Nov. 16th, to be clear).
- He won’t know exactly how many PS3s will be available, nor the ratio between 20gig or 60gig models, for a few more days… but he’s guessing about 60 or so.
- They won’t allow manchildren to camp out or lineup until 24 hours before doors open.
- At 9pm on Nov. 16th, three hours before the PS3s go on sale, the West Hollywood Best Buy will have a launch party that will close off Romaine between LaBrea and N. Formosa.
- The Wii on sale date of November 19th will have less fanfare, with no events scheduled, although Best Buy will open at 9am, one hour earlier than usual to accomodate the rush.
Next door, EB Games is done taking preorders for both the PS3 and Wii. There’s a chance they may have some Wiis to sell on opening day, but very unlikely. As for PS3s… they won’t have more to sell until 2007. He suggested trying someplace else, like Target or the aforementioned Best Buy, or anywhere else that doesn’t take preorders. But I don’t know if Jesus works there, so you’ll have to take on faith.
On the Circuit City side, their Torrance location also plans to have units up for sale at midnight. Their website promises they’ll have 100 units available, but, like the Best Buy event, you’ll need to get in line early. (for anyone who shows up late, they’ll be raffling off five FREE PS3s).
Anyone out there already have a preorder in? Any suckers try and preorder via eBay? And, more importantly, any other manchildren planning on camping out to get their paws on a PS3 or Wii?
UPDATE (4:00pm): A poster at Cheap Ass Gamer brings news that the Burbank Best Buy has had a line of people since Monday for the PS3 launch. OneWingedAngel writes that he saw seven people, and provides photographic evidence:
A few people made some funny remarks. One guy is like, “I hope you guys brought enough food!” Another one said, “Where is the line for PS4? Is it on the other side?”
(thanks for the tip, Koga!)
(photo by jjackowski of the line waiting for the XBox360 release)