Caryn and I simply had to go see The Departed today but were crushed to find that it wasn’t playing at the greatest theater in all of creation. Why it wasn’t at Arclight I don’t know, and also don’t care. It wasn’t there and that’s all that matters. We are content to go see it at the Vista but the showtimes there weren’t matching with our schedule so we ended up at The Grove to see the film. Two weekday movie tickets at Arclight will set you back $22, at The Grove those tickets cost us $17.50. $4.50 is not much of a difference considering how much of a difference the movie going experience is. Here’s a very incomplete list of things we dealt with at The Grove that we never would have had to deal with at Arclight.
- Only one person attending the registers, constantly shouting for people to go buy tickets from the kiosks.
- Only one person attending the snack counter.
- 10 million strollers blocking half the hallway.
- No ice in any of the self serve fountain drink machines, and no one to fill them (see point 2)
- Theater that never got completely dark.
- Slightly out of focus projection.
- 15 minutes of advertising and commercials BEFORE the trailers even started.
- 4 phones that rang during the movie.
- 3 people (that I could see) checking their phones, and voicemail, throughout the film.
$4.50 prevents all of that. Totally worth it if you ask me.