The New York Observer caught wind of an e-mail from David Westin, President of ABC News, that informed staffers of several cost-cutting measures to be implemented.
- Executives are asked to fly one grade below what they’re entitled to.
- Executives are asked to stay in “B” level hotels.
- Any meals (or drinks) with ABC or Disney employees will not be reimbursed.
- All newspaper and magazine subscriptions for executives and production employees will be canceled and moved to on-line.
- Any convention or conference attendance will be kept to an absolute minimum.
- All holiday parties will be cancelled this year. This includes company parties in LA.
I can understand ABC News tightening the belt during a global financial crisis. I would also be surprised if anyone was actually distraught at the idea that they won’t be forced to attend yet another awkward mixer with their co-workers. But, I think Westin missed a golden opportunity here. What if the e-mail read as follows: Continue reading Merry Christmas: ABC News Cancels LA Holiday Party