This show is one of my all time favorites, not because its where I live, its because its a terrific show focused on one type of car…street rods and other customs. Every car has a story and the owner will gladly tell you how he took it from who-knows-what-condition to the street rod or custom you see now. Seriously, they love to talk about the trials and tribulations of getting that car to show quality or at least driveable.
The show runs from 9AM to 3PM. They have ample vendors and raffles for goodies. The music, its period correct IE early Rock n Roll, some Doo Whop and the odd bit of swing era tossed in. It will be on South Myrtle Avenue, north of the 210 between Olive Avenue on the South up to Palm Avenue on the North. There will be over 200 cars there.
Food, this is in the heart of Old Town Monrovia and you can’t go wrong with all the restaurant choices there, many with sidewalk dining so you can enjoy the nice day. My favorites and highly recommended are as follows starting with the south end of the event:
- J B Burgers – 627 S Myrtle, good honest burger, inexpensive. Limited outdoor dining, convenient walk up window.
- Jakes Road House, 622 S Myrtle, Awesome BBQ and Breakfasts. The mushroom burger is pretty awesome, ample outdoor, indoor and patio seating .
Middle South Myrtle
- The Monrovian, 534 S Myrtle, classic American Diner food done well. Very family and kid friendly. Massive indoor restaurant and sidewalk dining. Affordable and great service.
- Cafe Massilia 110 E Lemon (1/2 block east of Myrtle), I absolutely adore this place, their crepe lunches are divine. This is a tiny joint, a dozen tables inside and a few sidewalk. Reservations are recommended. 626-471-3588
North end – Myrtle/Palm
- Caffe Opera, 402 S Myrtle Ave, A very nice high end restaurant, real table cloths, great food and service, but you do pay for it. Moderate price but oh so worth it. Its my wifes and my favorite place for “Date Day”. Ample indoor seating and sidewalk dining. Want great libations try their Bar O, 1 door down from Caffe Opera for great drinks and elevated bar food…another favorite of mine.
This event is open to anyone with a pre-1980 car. At the top of this post is the entry form. Its a great place to show of your car and tell your tale of getting it there. Its a lot of fun as a car owner, did it once with my hot rodded up old Centurion and had a ball.
Parking. This event pretty much sucks up all the available public parking in Old Town Monrovia. Get there early and the garages at the Paragon on Olive/Myrtle and the Colorado Commons (On Colorado east of Primrose) should have decent parking. There is a google map of the Old Town Parking as well as decent off street in the adjoining areas if you don’t mind hoofing it a bit.
Deets: Saturday September 14, 2013. S Myrtle Avenue between Palm and Olive Avenues. Monrovia CA 91016. Exit Myrtle Avenue from the 210 and turn North and you’ll drive right into the event.