This weekend: nice days for a street faire or two, and a chance to jump in front of curated street art. C’mon, you know you always wanted to.
- BloomfestLA is a giant street party to celebrate the Downtown Arts District. “Where else,” they ask, “Can you find a place where residents repurposed rundown industrial buildings and transformed them into homes and creative spaces, maintaining them even during unprecedented times of change and neighborhood gentrification?” Umm, if this isn’t one of the many definitions of gentrification, I’m not sure what is. Anyway, indie bands galore (Voxhaul Broadcast, anyone?) will supply the music, food trucks and area restaurants will supply the food, and tour guide will supply the walking tour of the “art in the street that happens every day.” Free. 2pm to 10pm at 3rd St. and Traction Ave. in Downtown.
- Instead of taking a walk through the street art, why not jump in front of it? Jump!! LA aims to create a jumping flashmob in front of MOCA’s pretty great Art in the Streets exhibit. It will be better than this version of Jump, I promise. $10 museum admission. Meet at noon at the Geffen Contemporary in Little Tokyo.
- Are you an adult who is “environmentally conscious, focused on health, love animals, enjoy bicycling, family-oriented, unpretentiously hip, and arts-minded”? If so, you’ll fit right in at Venice Beach’s 2nd Annual Summer Fest. Food trucks, art, beach bums, likely lots of hemp, and, oh, the Thriller Zombies will be there. Free. 10am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday at the Venice Beach Boardwalk.
- Our very own Chris Corning plans to
regret his ill-fated tweeteat many burgers at Kalbi’s Inaugural Kalbi Burger Challenge – four enormous original Kalbi burgers to be eaten in 10 minutes or less. May the force be with you, Chris. Free to attend. Contest starts at 2pm at Kalbi Burger, 4001 Wilshire Blvd. in Koreatown.
- After a two year hiatus, the Los Feliz Street Fair is ba-ack. Food from the area’s eateries, a beer and wine garden, street buskers (natch), a chalk art installation, and hopefully no sign of Kirstie Alley’s Organic Liasion will line the village streets. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday. Free. 11am to 10pm on Hollywood Blvd. between Vermont and Hillhurst Aves.
- Galco’s First Ever Soda Tasting Event! With Charles Phoenix! Serving “Poptails”!!!! $12 in advance/$15 at the door. 5pm to 8pm at Galcos in Highland Park.