There are many that call themselves daily, but only a few truly do it daily. Several are every few days, even a few are closer to monthly updates. Other than a glitch last week when when blogger was down a few days the regulars never missed a beat. Having tried this once and failed I have to admire the motivation and tenacity to post something daily, that in itself is no small feat.
My hands down favorite of the daily photos out there is the Pasadena Daily Photo. Why? Simply because since 2008 blogger Petrea Burchard hasn’t missed a day. Not only are her images well done, many cross the border into the fine art side of photography. Of course she has her share of cute puppies, news/documentary and slice of life stuff but her best work comes on Monday. Monday is “Zen Monday” when she posts an image that is left for discussion and interpretation by the viewer and they leave their thoughts in the comment section. Monday is my favorite day of the week thanks to Zen Monday.
Here is the run down of the other daily photo blogs in the LA Area that I follow with a short comment describing them.
- Pasadena Daily Photo…she rocks what else can I add to what I already said?
- The Sky is Big in Pasadena…nice guy documenting what he sees and does each day in Pasadena. A few pics of his family and co-workers which don’t mean much to anyone who doesn’t know him. Never missed a day since he started in ’07.
- Altadena Daily Photo…updates very infrequently but does nice quality work, especially enjoy the scanner stuff.
- Gem City Images…an interesting daily documentary, with a few arty bits of my little corner of LA (aka Monrovia Daily Photo).
- Covina Daily Photo…updates daily, always very well done arty photos, if not a bit overly ‘shopped.
- Temple City Daily Photo…he puts up daily but I visit only weekly, not much interesting going on there often.
- Palos Verdes Daily Photo…does it daily, and usually has some interesting images, some shopped, some just very well shot.
- Daily Photo LA…doesn’t do it daily, and content isn’t just LA, but rather rambles about So Cal. Decent documentary images for the most part, nothing really spectacular.
I probably missed a couple so feel free to shout out your favorite daily photo blog in the city in the comments. Certainly I can stand to add a few more interesting blogs to my list of daily reading.
This post is one of many in the Blogging (in)LA series we are running the next few weeks.