April 15, 2011 at 9:30 am in Events
This weekend: Art(isanal LA), art in a brewery, Art in the Streets. Coachella, what Coachella?
- Artisanal LA’s spring show promises almost 100 different local artisanal food vendors hawking everything from the all-American pie to homemade jams to homemade bacon. Christmas comes early this year. $10 (pre-sale), $15 (door), $18 (weekend pass). From 11am to 8pm on Saturday and 11am to 7pm on Sunday at Santa Monica Place in Santa Monica.
- Can’t wait for Tim Burton’s exhibit to hit LACMA? Whet your appetite, then, at the opening reception for Gallery Nucleus’ Edward Scissorhands 20th Anniversary Tribute Exhibition. Over 40 artists try their (scissor)hand (ha ha) at paying tribute to the man who loved Winona. We all did, once. Feel free to come dress as your favorite character. We all did, once. Free. 7pm to 11pm at Gallery Nucleus, 210 E. Main Street in Alhambra.
- So if you really are that bummed about not going to Coachella this year, do the next best thing: Record Store Day. Amoeba Records, as well as a handful of the last remaining independent record stores, will have exclusive and limited edition releases and related events. 11am to 4pm at Amoeba; see other website for their specific day events.
- It’s FourSquare Day (4 squared = 4/16 = math jokes are sort of fun), and for those who defy the death of the check-in can go crazy with the check-ins today. Participating FourSquare venues will offer special deals today, from free desserts at Go Burger to $5 off admission to LACMA. Check out (heh heh) the full list of participating venues and check-in with your FourSquare account to redeem the deal.
- Held only twice a year, the Brewery Artwalk is an open studio weekend at the world’s largest art complex, which I imagine is a lot like the world’s largest auto square without the catchy jingle. Over 100 participating artists will show off their work in the studio, giving you the chance to meet, greet, and buy. Free. 11am to 6pm at the Brewery, 2100 N. Main Stret, Unit A10 in Downtown.
- In response to increased tagging near the Geffen Contemporary, where MOCA’s Art in the Streets street art exhibit opens this weekend, LAPD Officer Jack Richter says, “As former Chief Bratton was found of saying, ‘If you want to be an artist, buy a canvas.’” Uh, irony much, Officer Richter? Check website for museum website for prices, days and hours. The exhibit runs from April 17 to August 8, 2011.
- Jealously watch a bunch of cars zoom around without any traffic at the Grand Prix of Long Beach. Saturday’s event is the full of celebrities who like to race as a hobby; if you’re in Long Beach to get away from those guys (as if you ever can), Sunday’s event is the main Indy Car race. Dave Share previews the event here.
- The Indian Film Festival has transformed the Arclight Hollywood to the Arclight Bollywood with its week-long festival feting Indian films, shorts, and documentaries. Sunday is the last day of the festival, with a closing night gala screening of Disney’s Zokkomon. See film festival website for schedule of events. All films at the Arclight Hollywood, 6360 W. Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood.