2010 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing season kicks off this weekend, February 11-14, with the 50th running of the Kragen O’Reilly NHRA Winternationals. If you love loud and fast cars this is the weekend made for you. I’m not kidding, invest in good ear protection for this as after the Pomona Finals in November my ears were ringing for a good hour after the event and I had good plugs with me.
To mark the milestone 50th running of the Winternationals, NHRA has scheduled a series of events to transform the Auto Club Raceway at Pomona into a virtual hot-rodding amusement park for the weekend:
- The Golden 50 Corral Car Show, effectively a museum displaying the cars including Roland Leong’s Hawaiian and Don “The Snake” Prudhomme’s Hot Wheels Funny Car that laid the foundation for today’s 7,000-horsepower, 300-mph dragsters.
- Daily cacklefests, featuring top cars from the last 50 years in one of the oldest traditions in drag racing
- Autograph sessions with NHRA legends, including Shirley Muldowney, “Big Daddy” Don Garlits, Bob Glidden, Kenny Bernstein to drop a few names.
- Exhibition runs by legendary tribute cars on the Auto Club Raceway track.
- The unveiling of the Greatest Moment in Winternationals history (the complete list of moments can be found on NHRA.com).
All the details can be found at the Fairplex web HERE.
Pic by me from the 11/15 NHRA Pomona Finals.