This weekend the LA Convention Center plays host to the 10th annual Fangoria Convention, where stars from horror and sci-fi film and television projects, among other artists dabbling in the macabre, will converge.
- Panels and signings featuring (among many, many others): Sam Raimi, Thomas Dekker (John Conner from “The Sarah Conner Chronicles”, Sybil Danning (“V”), John Saxon, Shannon Lark (pictured at right), and, oh yes, ladies, Corey Haim (the blonde Corey).
- Seminars and workshops including “Writing Horror” with Clive Barker, “Low Budget Filmmaking” with Herschell Gordon Lewis, and “Filmmaking 101” with Tobe Hooper (“Poltergeist,” arguably).
- As ridiculed by Sean, on Saturday morning a zombie walk will terrorize the living attending other conventions being held downtown (including a SoCal Home Buyer’s Fair and the NBC/Telemundo Health & Fitness Expo). This zombie walk hopes to break the world number for largest number of participants, but more importantly is a charity event for the Los Angeles food bank. Details here.
- An insane amount of vendors – last year there was a guy shilling used coffins as couches, a myriad of artists signing limited prints of horror related works, Halloween props, rare horror DVDs, sneak peeks at upcoming films, and plenty of free schwag to fill a tomb.
- Additional related events include a “True Blood” sponsored Vampires Ball at the Hotel Figueroa on Saturday night, a Treme fashion show Friday night, along with contests for the creepiest costumes and most terrifying tattoos.
If you happen to scream on by, a day pass will set you back $20, with certain activities having additional costs. Full details here.