An informal poll via our sweet Twitter thingie (subscribe!) asked for L.A. residents favorite songs about the City of Angels. Randy Newman’s “I Love L.A.” and “Los Angeles” by X are popular favorites, but the bulk of the list is as diverse as the city itself, with artists ranging from Warren Zevon to the Stooges to Tupac, including titles like, “La Cienega Just Smiled, “Caaaaaaalifornia Looooooove,” and “Some L.A. Nigaaz.”
Check to see if your favorites are after the jump.
Contest: I’ll send the first person to make a Muxtape of the list a Los Angeles edition Moleskine for you to write the lyrics to your own ode to L.A.
- sdm: “In California” – Lisa Marr Experience
- betheboy: Warren Zevon’s “Even a Dog Can Shake Hands” a little dated but still great.
- StudioErotica: Just Noises’ “West Coast Anthem.”
- LisaBee: “I Love LA” and “Los Angeles Is Burning” are both pretty classic.
- barefootjim: Favorite song about Los Angeles: “Screenwriter’s Blues,” by Soul Coughing
- VirginiaNussey: easy! Red Hot Chili Peppers’s “City of Angels.”
- pettybo: hmm can’t decide btw “Hotel California,” The Eagles; “California Love,” Tupac, “L.A.Blues,” Stooges, “Some LA Nigaz,” Dre /Dope Show-Manson.
- benarnold: Tie – “Los Angeles” by X and “I Love LA” for Lakers-related reasons.
- jenhen: “La Cienega Just Smiled” – Ryan Adams
- Nedra: “Under the Bridge” does it for me.
- er1n: “Los Angeles, I’m Yours” by the Decemberists
- HugnSnug: have a soft spot for “E.Z.L.A.” by Folk Implosion. “…cold like the desert at night”
- HugnSnug: partner in comic strip making says “Los Angeles” by The Refreshments.
- ginnycase: “Caaaaaaalifornia Looooooove,” and Michelle Shocked’s Come a Long Way.
- subwayray: cliché I know, but “LA Song” by Beth Hart
- ghidorah76: “People of the Sun” by Rage Against the Machine.