I’m sure you’ve heard by now that effective today, California drivers can no longer hold their cell phones while driving. But did you know:
Not sure if this is legal.
pic by dfb, used under Creative Commons.
- that while the LAPD has indicated they won’t target cellphone violators for ticketing’s sake, they will use it as another reason to pull over shady looking individuals? Yep, this could mean you.
- if you’re a cheap bastard or can’t afford a fancy wireless headset, you can get a FREE wired headset just for the cost of shipping ($3.94) through FreeHeadset.org. a wireless phone safety program?*
- the fines and fees for “first offenders” caught violating the law can total about $100? This doesn’t include the anxiety and waste of time spent being pulled over by a cranky police officer.
- if you’re a cheap bastard or think you look stupid wearing a headset, you can simply use the speaker phone built into your cell phone?
- if you talk on your headset outside of the car, especially while in line at Starbucks, everyone thinks you’re a douche?
*UPDATE: Proceed with caution – the Better Business Bureau gives FreeHeadset.org an unsatisfactory rating after numerous complaints that were only resolved after the BBB became involved. Thanks Julia!