Monrovia’s American Cancer Society Relay for Life is bringing back its “Miss Relay” competition due to popular demand. This event includes the hunky menfolk in their best drag strolling through the crowds. The winner of the Miss Relay Crown is the guy in drag who
works solicits hustles walks through the crowd and collects the most donations to the American Cancer Society.
During the course of the day on top of the relay walkers around Monrovia’s Recreation Park, around the Boy’s and Girl’s Club there will be several other events. For those looking for fun, food and good music all of that will be in the park as well. Among the fun or informative events going on during the day:
- Free Blood Pressure Testing courtesy of the “Team Foot Solutions” at their booth 3 Pm
- Silent Auction starting at noon with bids taken until closing at 7 PM
- Chili Cook Off starting at 3 PM with judging set at 4 PM
- Live Auction of a variety of art, crafts and gifts starting at 7:50 PM
- “Miss Relay” walk and donation collection…big hint no holds barred on how you make your deposit. Let your imagination run free.
- Luminaria Ceremony at 9 PM
I’ve already donated to one of the relay participants, my friend and neighbor Lori Smith. A cancer survivor battling breast cancer and residuals for 6 years. If you have a dime to spare sign up and donate on her behalf HERE.
The address: Recreation Park, 600 S Shamrock Monrovia CA 91016. The easiest way to get there is take the 210 and Exit Mountain Avenue and head north. Cross the light at Royal Oaks, one block to Olive. Turn left at Olive and then right at Shamrock to get to the west side of the park where the Boy’s and Girl’s Club is located.
The pic is by me. It is of the long abandoned Santa Fe Railroad station here in Monrovia. It was shot bracketed and an HDR file generated with Photomatix. It was then tone-mapped and post processed with Virtual Photographer. This image is part of the Silent Auction. I try to donate a piece a month to local charity for their fund raising. Go see it, appreciated it and remember your bid is tax deductible. (You can click it to get a bit bigger version).