February 9, 2008 at 2:38 pm in Driving
and attack the growing traffic problem head on.
Some “outside the box ideas.” Feel free to add your own or discuss in the comments.
10. Remove all street parking from main roads, (such as Santa Monica Blvd., Wilshire, Olympic, Sunset, La Brea, Fairfax, La Cienega, and Western) to make space for manageable bicycle only lanes.
9. Impose a County-wide gasoline tax of $3/gallon. Use tax dollars to fund public transportation.
8. Make wifi and cell phone service available throughout the Metro system, including underground.
7. Designate select surface streets as “car pool only” during rush hours.
6. Allow food and beverage sales in Metro stations, and for food and beverages to be enjoyed on trains.
5. Ban drivers from using both hands free and handheld communications devices while driving. Penalties for a driver caught texting or using a cell phone while driving would equal those for DUI.
4. Immediate installation of signs on escalators reading, “Stand to the right!”
3. Ban additional conditional use and building permits for parking lots except for those adjacent to outlying MTA stops.
2. Tax valet and parking services 50%. Use tax dollars to fund public transportation.
1. Require the Mayor and all City Council members to take public transportation to and from their district to City Hall at least one day per week… during peak hours. On one other day per week they need to take public transpo to another district’s center, visiting a different district each week.