Markland posted an entry back in December that linked to an article on DoubleViking.com about how Los Angeles is not for the manly. The author’s lame excuses were summarily shot down by a lot of your comments – his view of LA seems to stem from little more than a passing knowledge of hair metal, Comedy Central, tabloid fodder and a drunken Saturday night on the Sunset Strip in 1992 – but I’d like to add one more item to the list.
Okay so here’s the original post, in ascending order:
1. Most of the city’s cash is made from people playing pretend (a point we have since discussed).
2. No bars, only clubs.
3. Most shitty pop music is recorded there.
4. They have the worst stand up comics (he uses Dane Cook, Carlos Mencia and Steve Guttenberg(?!?) as examples).
5. Abundant use of plastic surgery.
And my entry:
6. Almost every “man” I invited to see the excellent Rambo last weekend said no because “it looks dumb.”
I’m sorry but I don’t see any intellectual difference between watching New York get flattened while a bunch of rich, annoying SoHo hipsters get eaten by a giant monster in Cloverfield and watching John Freakin’ Rambo systematically liquefy a murderous jungle militia. In fact, I found it a little bit harder to swallow Cloverfield‘s “dopey friend of the main character with a camera” conceit than Rambo‘s “one last mission” plot (the word is used very lightly). Both movies are stupid in their own way, but they’re still great fun, though.
Anyway, I probably wouldn’t be so annoyed if Meet the Spartans hadn’t come in #1 at the box office.
(I’d like to note that on imdb.com, Spartans has been rated only a 2 out of 10, while Rambo has cracked the site’s Top 250 category.)