If you’re into arcane art forms, weirdly fascinating little pockets of L.A. culture and, uh, icebergs, you’ll want to check this out on Saturday night:
The artists collective known as Velaslavasay Panorama will be unveiling its latest work – a 360-degree sculpted-painted landscape of the frozen Arctic.
I got a guided tour of the Panorama’s home last summer while the work was being created, and posted some words and photos here on the undefinably quirky “there” there. Being something of a panorama geek, I’m looking forward to seeing the finished piece.
Details on Saturday’s grand unveiling after the jump:
We would like to take a moment and humbly remind you all of the impending Grand Unveiling of our greatest achievement thus far – an Arctic panorama taking the visitor to frozen heights to bear witness to the mysterious phenomenon of the Aurora Borealis. Entitled Effulgence of the North, this frigid panoramic masterwork has been in the making for some time and we graciously invite you to join us in celebration of its public inauguration.
This landmark evening of Alpine Spectacle will comprise:
– The yodeling talents and Swiss accordion mastery of Herr Tony Hartenstein, a distinguished performer featured at the New York World’s Fair of 1939!
-The melodic alphorn tones of master-of-ceremonies Loren Marsteller!
– An illustrated presentation by Professor Erkki Huhtamo on the most successful moving panorama of all time – Albert Smith’s Ascent of Mont Blanc, which was performed at London’s Egyptian Hall no less than 2,000 times in the 1850’s!
– An outdoor presentation of live projections entitled Stolen Archives of the Vanished Ice-World presented by Janie Geiser of Automata and her ensemble!
– Verdant biergarten with Bavarian-style refreshment!
– An Alpine Fotostudio – have a portrait to take home as a souvenir of your adventure to the soaring Tyrolean Alps!
We hope to be seeing you on this evening of celebration and Alpine festivity; should other engagements keep you away for the panoramic debut, do not fear! From July 27th and thereafter, Effulgence of the North will be on view weekly – Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 12 noon ’til 6pm at The Velaslavasay Panorama.
EFFULGENCE OF THE NORTH
Grand Unveiling & Alpine Spectacular
July 21st, 2007 – 7 to 10pm
An Evening of Alpine Spectacle and a 360-degree Arctic Panorama.
The Velaslavasay Panorama
1122 West 24th Street
Los Angeles, California 90007
At Hoover & 24th Streets, Three Blocks North of Adams Boulevard.
($10 for members and students)
Available at the door or through this fine online establishment.