Jury Report

OK, sorry for disappearing yesterday but as many of you know I got called into Jury Duty. More on this later as I’m trying to catch up but I just wanted to give you all the quick round up. Everyone I know who has ever done Jury Duty in LA has done one day of service. The note I got from the city said the average trial is 5 days so I was expecting something of that range if I got selected. And was happy to do it. I showed up at 7:30 AM and was called into the second trial. Which was expected to last 7 weeks. And would require me to be there all the time. Which means I couldn’t run the gallery. And could not use the internet when I wasn’t there. And was a case between a franchise-owning celebrity and his ex-lawyer regarding a conflict about exactly when some paperwork was filed. Obviously I was freaking the fuck out. All day. In the court room, and in the hall outside, which is where most of the day was spent. Several people were let go because of hardships – I was not one of them. I guess I didn’t plead my case well enough. At the end of the day, I and a few others stayed behind to make sure the Judge and Council knew just exactly how being a part of this trial would quite literally ruin our lives. They heard us out and then, after thinking about it for a few minutes, let us go. I’ve never felt more relived in my life. I felt like I had just gotten off of a death sentence. Anyway, maybe I’ll write more about it later, but that was basically the scoop.

3 thoughts on “Jury Report”

  1. The last time I got called into jury service, it was for a medical malpractice trial. The judge read a list of witnesses that lasted at least 2 1/2 – 3 pages! So you know that trial would’ve lasted for months!

    Thankfully, I was excused, as was the old woman sitting in front of me, and later on, when I asked her where her flight was headed to, she said “Vegas.” Classic!

  2. The last time I was actually on a jury the judge said the case would last three days. The case actually took 7 days in the court and lasted two and a half weeks (there were scheduling problems so we didn’t appear every day). Our defendant decided after the first day to represent himself and then after the third day once again had representation.

    One of our jurors was hard of hearing but never mentioned this to the court and when we got into deliberations he asked for something to be read back by the court reporter, then another thing, sure enough, eventually he’d requested the entire trial to be read back to him.

Comments are closed.