Last night I went to my favorite local video store because I was in the mood for some 1950s-60s old horror movies (for reference I wound up getting The Bad Seed and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed). Video Journeys in Silver Lake has a great movie selection all around but they particularly have amazing horror movies. But yesterday I was in for a surprise…as I made my way around the corner I looked up to their television playing non other than one of my most favorite movies, Coffin Joe: At Midnight I’ll Take Your Soul. My heart actually started beating fast. I am officially a nerd.
So, inspired by my experience and by halloween in general, I’m making six movie recommendations for you this spookola weekend. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to post them!
1. Spider Baby (or the Maddest Story Ever Told) : I love, love, love this movie. I watched it last halloween while it was raining outside. Fabulous.
2. Halloween : I like to watch this very appropriate movie while carving pumpkins.
3. House on Haunted Hill (with Vincent Price, bien sur. Actually anything with Mr. Price is worth a viewing) : a haunted castle, black and white, Vincent Price…do I have to say anything more?
4. Castle of Blood : another haunted castle, black and white movie. A little slow but worth it.
5. Devil’s Nightmare : one of my absolute favorite movies…it’s about the devil, sucubus, a family curse, and unsuspecting gluttonous victims.
6. Night of the Living Dead : zombie, zombie, zombie