Some people consider “eastside”, the city of silverlake and its surrounding area. Other people consider downtown the westside. Well, they both can’t be right…or maybe they can, because I guess its about perspective. But you know, I don’t really have time to figure out where the hell everyone lives and hangsout in order for me to calibrate my directional senses. So consider this:
1. Looking at a map of los angeles, you notice “hey, many of the freeways interesect in the downtown area”. Maybe, theres something going on there, Like maybe its the center of all things going on.
2. If you take the 10 freeway west – its called the santa monica freeway. If you take the 10 freeway east – its called the san bernardino freeway. Where do the names change…according to the map, downtown la.
3. You know the movie “Born in East L.A” Well, Cheech doesn’t try findhis way up into the hip side of town. He’s trying to get back to boyle heights/el monte.
4. East l.a. college. Guess where. Not in silverlake.
5. Mid wilshire is call mid wilshire, not because it the middle of the city but because its the mid point of the long street. Wilshire starts in downtown la and ends in santa monica.
6. You know what street is longer. Sunset. So damn long that they changed the name…to caesar chavez. Where does it change. Off figueroa. In downtown la.
So my friend says, oh the tem “eastside” isn’t relegated to the geographic terms. But i really wasn’t clear as to why silverlake is considered “eastside.” So could you guys explain to me? Thanks in advance.